A Room of Her Own

 Recently, I visited the Panna Meena ka Kund --a lesser known gem --a picturesque square shaped stepwell with a quaint aura which can precisely be claimed as an exclusive women’s space.  It is situated quite close to the stupendous yellow structure of the majestic Amer Palace. I spent more time at this enticing stepwell, than people generally do, coz it was not just a tourist spot for me -I could feel a magnetic pull as I approached it. Despite the vertigo caused by the labyrinth of the small crisscross staircases, I couldn't stop myself from entering it. Climbing down the stairs, I could sense the vibes of all those hegemonized women… I did not just peep into the life they led, centuries ago; but  became one of them for that one hour and even for the days that followed. I could fantasize myself living in the 16th century -dressed in a bandhani ghaghra-choli and coarse silver jewelry, hair held in a tight plait, conscious of my dusky complexion, smoky eyes laden with homemade smudgy kohl… splashing water of the kund on myself and other women... --releasing the suppressed emotions, revealing  harmless chunks of my repressed personality,  talking taboo subjects, listening to other women's bizarre dreams, contemplating,  giggling and weeping, ghoonghat-free and loquacious... in the privacy of this 'haven of homogeneity'.

I guess, more than just a freshwater resource, this stepwell must have been a gathering place for the women, where they could ‘be themselves’ - something that was otherwise forbidden by their valiant patriarchs! 

The most fascinating part of this awesome stepwell is its unique architectural style -- the steps used to descend cannot take you back up. The rationale of these methods would be difficult to understand. Such amazing structures with magical architectural feats mesmerize me more than the quaint bazaars and colorful shopping escapades. 

The romantic in me loved being there. Experiencing and reliving the snippets of royalty of an era bygone, enamors my soul. I wish to go back to it again and again and again...

- Parastish

Comments

  1. Beautifully explained perspective👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have visited this but can’t think the way you have done it👏🏼👏🏼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts commendable

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful picture

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Fascinate Me

Priya (MicroFiction)